This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Domestic Forum Thread views: 4064

KoRuPt3d
Oldsmobile 442   Posted Wed May 25, 05   5:07 PM     

I am looking for my first car, and I really want an American Muscle car. I really like the looks of the 442, but is this something that I could tune up and improve..alot... If not or if there is something better, what is it?

buddhakwake
Re: Oldsmobile 442   Posted Wed May 25, 05   10:49 PM     

Olds 442 is a classic car, but a good one is hard to find. They'll make your power, and look good doing it.

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
KoRuPt3d
Re: Oldsmobile 442   Posted Thu May 26, 05   3:41 AM     

So, what is a "good one"? And also what would be the price? I can't spend too much, so if it is a high price, could you point me too another car?

Edit: I got about 10k to spend : /
Edit2: Found 2 cars in my area, a 1971 340 Demon for $4500 and a 1987 Monte Carlo SS for $3500. Are either of these good?

sorry about all the questions, Im new :P

Edited by KoRuPt3d (Thu May 26, 05   8:22 AM)

FastFiveO
Re: Oldsmobile 442   Posted Thu May 26, 05   12:42 PM     

im not one for the monte's but thats your choice
as far as power i dunno demon is oldschool too.
so heres the question.. do you want muscle or old school muscle

86 mustang GT, 68 galaxie 500 ragtop, 73 charger
KoRuPt3d
Re: Oldsmobile 442   Posted Thu May 26, 05   2:14 PM     

Whichever one gets me to the finish line fastest

buddhakwake
Re: Oldsmobile 442   Posted Thu May 26, 05   10:52 PM     

If you're in California, go with the demon. The reason being that it's old enough that you'd never have to smog it and so you can do whatever you want with the engine. Otherwise, you might be able to find a fixer 442 for your budget, and still have a little left over, if you looked hard enough. I wouldn't go with the Monte Carlo personally just because of the reputation of the average domstic car during the 80's. Not to say that they are all bad, but it's a risk in my opinion. Really it's up to you. Whatever you do, make it the choice YOU want, not what someone on here tells you to do, because otherwise, no matter how good the advice, you might regret it. Of course then you could blame whoever gave you the advice and you might not feel so bad.

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
KoRuPt3d
Re: Oldsmobile 442   Posted Fri May 27, 05   3:04 AM     

Alright, thanks everyone. I am probably goin to check out the Demon today. It's got a 727 tranny which is sweet. If I don't get that I'll probably just wait a while and get whatever comes up next.

NotoriouS187
Re: Oldsmobile 442   Posted Tue Jun 14, 05   6:31 PM     

the 442 is awsome car, very strong car i wish i had one