This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Domestic Forum Thread views: 5996

NotoriouS187
1995 Mustang Convertible   Posted Sun Oct 31, 04   4:00 PM     

I got a 1995 Mustand Convertible, Red, V8
I just installed flowmaster mufflers on it....What else can I do to make my car faster and to make the car look nice inside

DBLDREW
Re: 1995 Mustang Convertible   Posted Mon Nov 1, 04   3:22 PM     

I believe 1995 was the last year for the 5.0 I think in 96 they went to the 4.6. So if I’m wrong about you having a 5.0 disregard my advice..

One thing is with the 302 (5.0) is that you can make a ton of power and it is a very reliable motor but the stock heads leave a lot to be desired. So get new heads, I would recommend going with the AFR 185 BUT these heads have 2.02/1.60 valves so you will need to get your pistons fly cut. If you don’t want to mess with getting your pistons fly cut get a set of AFR 165 these have 1.94/160 valves and will work with your stock valve releases in your pistons.

You will also need a new intake I like the efi spider it makes good power and looks pretty cool.

Go with a comp or crane cam I have tried both and they both work great. Call the tech and tell them your combination and they will recommend a grind that will work best for your combination.

Well as long as we are spending your money lets go all out and order a procharger P1SC supercharger with the intercooler.

We are also going to need to get a set of 1 3/4 mac full-length headers, an x pipe with high flow cats.

You will need ~42# fuel injectors w/a MAF calibrated to the injectors also probably a Aeromotive fuel pump

You will probably need a few other odds and ends, like a larger throttle body maybe a MSD ignition, and probably a bunch of other stuff that I’m forgetting right now.

If you ever put any kind of sticky tires on it, be prepared to replace your trans because with the amount of power you’ll be pushing one good launch will leave that stock trans in pieces. Get your self a good Tremec.

89 Mustang 11.86 @ 118mph
NotoriouS187
Re: 1995 Mustang Convertible   Posted Thu Nov 4, 04   10:23 AM     

Yeah my car is a 5.0....Theres alot to do it looks like but I am not a millionare LOL I am going to get that intake you said sounds good. What are good tires to put on my car then besides sticky ones?

DBLDREW
Re: 1995 Mustang Convertible   Posted Thu Nov 4, 04   2:56 PM     

Remember you can have the best flowing intake in the world but with stock heads it’s not going to help too much. Same thing with putting great heads on, if your intake or exhaust is stock it will still choke out the engine. If you are looking for an easy fast bolt on mod try doing under drive pulleys, they are easy to install and good for ~10 hp. As far as sticky tires try the BFG drag radials.

Also when I was posting ideas for your car that was based on more of a track car then a daily driver. That intake flows great BUT you loose low-end power so if you are thinking of using that intake for a daily driver you might not like how it works. I think I remember in another thread that you have an auto trans. If this is the case are you running a stall speed in your torque converter? If you are not, and are running a stock converter that intake is defiantly not a good choice for your set up.

FastFiveO
Re: 1995 Mustang Convertible   Posted Thu Nov 4, 04   9:12 PM     

or do you want a start.lol gt-40 intake im runnin 24 lb injectors have your heads ported and polished upgrade the whole fuel system ect.

86 mustang GT, 68 galaxie 500 ragtop, 73 charger
NotoriouS187
Re: 1995 Mustang Convertible   Posted Fri Nov 5, 04   5:12 PM     

I dont understand alot about cars well I do but not engine wise.. what is a torque converter and do I even have one? YO bro is automatic good for mustangs or they slower than stickshift mustangs?

NotoriouS187
Re: 1995 Mustang Convertible   Posted Fri Nov 5, 04   5:52 PM     

yo tell me the truth is my car good with automatic..like is it good to race or its not worth it?

FastFiveO
Re: 1995 Mustang Convertible   Posted Fri Nov 5, 04   8:55 PM     

i dunno, its pretty good. it would be better if you got a set of 3.73 rear end gears and the spedo gear to match it so you know how fast your going

86 mustang GT, 68 galaxie 500 ragtop, 73 charger
DBLDREW
Re: 1995 Mustang Convertible   Posted Mon Nov 8, 04   1:36 PM     

A torque converter does virtually the same thing as a clutch, it transfers the power from the engine to the trans and provides a way to also disengage the power, that way you can sit at a stop light without having to put the car in neutral. Although the clutch and torque converter ultimately do the same thing they end up doing it in a much different way. A clutch is a mechanical device made up of a flywheel clutch disk and pressure plate. The flywheel and pressure plate are bolted to the engine the clutch disk is sandwiched between them and is attached to the impute shaft of the trans. Now the pressure plate has large springs that squeeze the pressure plate, clutch disk, and flywheel together. While they are squeezed together you are transferring the power to the trans and moving. When you push in the clutch, it pulls the pressure plate away from the clutch disk allowing the clutch disk to slip while the flywheel still spins that way you can sit at a stop light with out moving.

I know it’s probably hard to follow my explanation so here is a link of a diagram of a clutch…

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/clutch3.htm

Ok my knowledge of torque converters is very basic (being that my car is stick) but basically there are 2 sets of fins (like a very complicated looking fan blades) incased in a round tube of hydraulic fluid. One is bolted to the flywheel the other is attached to the trans. When the 1 set of fins are spinning it pulls the fluid through the center and spits it out on the sides, sort of how an impeller for a pump works. But the key is when it pulls the fluid through the center of the 1 set it pulls the fluid through the fins of the second set that is attached to the trans. Because the blades are on an angle like a fan, as the fluid passes through it, it causes it to spin. Now while you are at an idle and the engine is only spinning at 1000 rpm so the fluid isn’t moving very fast so you can sit at a stoplight and the brakes have no problem keeping the car from moving forward.

Well that’s my very basic explanation of a torque converter here is probably a better explanation and a pic of one here…

http://www.tciauto.com/tech_info/torque_converters_explained.htm

DBLDREW
Re: 1995 Mustang Convertible   Posted Mon Nov 8, 04   1:38 PM     

Sorry for the double post but it was getting a little long…

Not to answer some of your questions…

Yes you have a torque converter

As far as which one is faster stick or auto that is a tough question. If we are talking about stock mustangs then the stick is faster. An auto will rob a little more power then a stick.

Now as far as how good an auto is for racing. Well it does have some advantages. If an auto is set up right they work very well. For one you will never miss a shift with an auto, they are typically stronger then a manual. They are much more consistent especially on the launch. To make your auto better for drag racing you will need to get a shift kit, which makes it shift very hard and fast. Also you will need a stall speed. What this is, is a type of torque converter. Now the stock converter will start to really grab at around 1500rpm. Now this is horrible for drag racing, the motor doesn’t make much power at 1500 rpm. So what you do is replace it with a stall speed. What a stall speed does is change the rpm of when it starts to grab. So if you got a 2500rpm stall the engine will basically free rev up to 2500 rpm before it starts to grab and push you forward. So it gets the engine up into its power band. Now you can get a stall speed basically for just about any rpm you want so it will work perfect with your combination.

The problem with an auto is everything you do to make it work better for racing makes it worse for street driving.

So is your car a daily driver or is it just for racing/weekend cruising?

NotoriouS187
Re: 1995 Mustang Convertible   Posted Wed Nov 10, 04   11:04 AM     

I use my car daily and race people that are locally on the roads