This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Domestic Forum Thread views: 2021

ISTMUSCLECAR
I NEED HELP   Posted Tue Aug 10, 04   7:54 PM     

I USED TO RUN WITH THE 4 CYL. AND GOT GOOD RESULTS BUT NOW I WANT TO BUILD A BLOWER MOTOR FOR MY 70 CHEVY C10. I GOT A 671 BDS BLOWER AND A 350 SMALL BLOCK. I WANT TO STROKE TO 383 BUT THEN DONT REALLY KNOW WHAT COMPRESSION IS RECOMMENDED AND WHAT TYPE OF CAM TO RUN ETC.

uglystick
Re: I NEED HELP   Posted Thu Aug 12, 04   1:06 AM     

i'd start by calling camshaft manufacturers and giving them your blower specs and displacement, then move to piston mfg'rs to find a piston that will match the reccomended camshaft and work with a 5.9 inch rod on a 400 stroke. then take a 400 crank; 350 block; bore it .030 over, buy said pistons in .030 over configuration; buy a set of 5.9 inch rods, and have the rotating assembly race balanced by a reputable machine shop.

talk to a few piston manufacturers - ross and keith black for a start and ask each this: "Tell me why I should buy (Forged/Hypereutectic) pistons for my blower motor" ross is forged; kb is hypereutectic. whichever convinces you, go with their product. both have pro's and cons with boost.

that's about it. consider o-ringing the block deck to save your head gaskets, but realize that if you do this, your cheapest weak link is no longer a weak link and you'll melt a piston before you blow a gasket.

peace out.

jason

DBLDREW
Re: I NEED HELP   Posted Tue Nov 2, 04   1:17 PM     

This is kind of an old topic but what the hell…

Ugly stick has given some good advice. But I would like to go into the differences of hypereutectic and forged pistons. Both the hyper and the forged are much stronger then a stock cast piston. So which one is stronger of the 2 you ask, well that would be the forged. But it’s not that simple of a choice. For one the hyper is significantly lighter then a forged, and a lighter rotating assembly will yield more hp.

Now back to the strength issue. Both pistons will be great in high hp applications. Lets say for instance you have a 500hp motor. Both pistons will run fine with out any piston failure as long as conditions are correct.

So if the hyper is lighter, can yield more hp, and is strong enough for high hp then why would anybody go with a forged? Simple, because sometimes conditions are not correct and when things go wrong, the hyper will fail before the forged. So lets say your racing and your fuel pressure drops causing detonation. Now because the forged piston is stronger it will last longer before it fails. Now depending on the motor and how extreme the detonation is, but you might have a second or two more before the forged pistons fail also. Now that might not sound like that much time but when you hear your motor detonate you immediately lift off the gas and shut it down and that 1-2 seconds might make the difference between you bringing your motor back to the machine shop for a total rebuild or just replacing your fuel pump that crapped out on you.

So if you want a lighter piston for more hp go with the hypereutectic.
If you want a little more of an insurance policy go with the forged.

89 Mustang 11.86 @ 118mph