This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Domestic Forum Thread views: 22763

Pages in this thread: (1) 2  
dragracer445
hey im new and need advice!   Posted Thu Apr 29, 04   4:33 PM     

my dad wants me to think about what i want for my first car...and yeah i don't know what to get...i don't want any ford's....sorry....but i definatly want a good first car! what should i get????

-*- I love Drag Racing-*-
tunermonkey
Re: hey im new and need advice!   Posted Sat May 8, 04   11:20 PM     

Get a first gen Neon (95-99). Either SOHC or DOHC (Preferably a DOHC) but make sure it's a 5spd manual. The 3speed automatics kill performance.

Reason? They're cheap. They're easy to modify. They're faster than a Civic. (aside from maybe a 99 Si, which is a driver's race.. swapped Civics don't count in this comparison) They respond very nicely to mods. Handles corners like a dream.

Bad things? Headgasket issues. Not the quietest ride out there. Resale sucks (but that's why you can get one for cheap)

[External Image Removed]

If the car wasn't screaming, I wasn't racing.
LS4_454
Re: hey im new and need advice!   Posted Tue May 18, 04   9:50 PM     

Get a Contour with a V6, awesome dude.

Dave97RS
Re: hey im new and need advice!   Posted Wed May 19, 04   1:21 PM     

ONCE AGAIN, i suggest eclipse. i only have a 97 RS w/ only about 300$ worth of the mods and i rip on any non-swapped civics and then also alot of b16 civics. I really would suggest a turbo model but if u go non-turbo, its very easy to turbo and put down 350+ whp which isnt bad at all, especially once youve gone wieght reduction. something 2 think about.

quik67firebird
Re: hey im new and need advice!   Posted Fri May 21, 04   4:41 PM     

Well my suggestion may be a little out of the ordinary for you, but if you are really into drag racing then I suggest a late 60's early 70's muscle car. (As you may notice by my avatar, I prefer vintage muscle) I won't knock neon's or Honda's, and I even have an eclipse, but when it comes down to drag racing, I would take a vintage torque monster to a high rpm horsepower spinner any time. Something about the pull of a winding V8 that no turbo 4 will ever have. Not to say that they can't be fast, because they can defiantly run the numbers when tuned. But the feel of a vintage V8 trying to lift that front left tire off the ground on launch is enough to permanently paste a big grin on your face for a long time. Not to mention the shock on the face of your passengers when they get pinned to their seats and held there while they listen to the roar of a wide open throttle, American Muscle- torque machine..

This is of course just my preference and humble opinion.

large_filipino

Re: hey im new and need advice!   Posted Sun Jul 4, 04   11:48 PM     

This is the real world,though,and gas exceeding two bucks a gallon in some places,and insuring new drivers sky high,I'd go for something cheap. You could get a brand new cavalier in the dealerships around seven large every now and then.Then do mods later. Or go used.Lots of screaming deals out there.

BadAssDodge

Re: hey im new and need advice!   Posted Mon Jul 5, 04   6:29 AM     

dude this is what u do, dont go with a newer car, go with something classic, they are timeless, why do u think all these new cars are going for a 60s look. get one with an inline six, they are easy and cheap to workon , pretty reliable and will be cheaper on gas. Go buy an engine stand and with your xtra money start putting together a nice V8, wether its a roller cammed 302 , a dual quad 406, or a 6 pack 360. Dont rush it either, you have a lot of time and it will pay off. once its all built, get your car ready for it, like the suspension, differential, a good transmission, maybe even a nice paint job. once its ready to go, just drop the new motor in and youll feel better than all those guys who went with the economy 90s car, they can be fast but its just not the same........

Faster & More Furious
LS6
Re: hey im new and need advice!   Posted Mon Jul 5, 04   9:53 PM     

My innitial responce is get a muscle car but if its ur 1st car u really dont wanna stick yourself into a performance car, my advice is to get summin safe and summin insurance wont kill you on. then when ur not as much a liability to them get summin w/ balls and have fun. :-)

BadAssDodge

Re: hey im new and need advice!   Posted Mon Jul 5, 04   10:42 PM     

well my idea kinda goes with that cause insurance is cheap on an old car, and registration on my dart is only 40 bucks a year, and with the 6 cylinder its not really a performance car, it will be a daily driver, i know of a car just like this, a 68 Plymouth Valiant with a slant 6 if your interested and in Southern Cali, its under 2000 bucks for the car

Faster & More Furious
89grandprix
Re: hey im new and need advice!   Posted Thu Jul 15, 04   11:29 AM     

well i really like the ford probes but you said no fords.....well, the next suggestion would be to get a cavi or sunfire, they are nice, also the new grand ams are very fast stock..........its totally up to you dude

Grand Prix, High 15's mild mods, AEM cold air intake, No cat converter, fart can, wing soon, I live in Saginaw Michigan, check it out.....2kc.org.
ms692
Re: hey im new and need advice!   Posted Tue Jul 20, 04   6:37 AM     

MY ADVICE IS GAT LAID AND GET A LIFE LOOOOOSER

HyperGT
Re: hey im new and need advice!   Posted Tue Jul 20, 04   9:10 AM     

WTF is ms692 prob?? well anyways hey kid since ur young, like he said, preferably go with something kinda low end, cuz insurance will get you. that depends if ur financing the car, but if not u can probably get something better. But if really like gunning it i tihnk early 90's or 80's v8 are pretty good. Just odnt do much to it, cuz u can get a better one later.

"Ever seen a Supercharged Kia? its amazing it has like 90HP"
shaggy
Re: hey im new and need advice!   Posted Fri Sep 10, 04   5:51 PM     

you shoud get a GTO of any year they got power and you will look good kicking ass

JcAus
Re: hey im new and need advice!   Posted Thu Sep 16, 04   3:33 PM     

Quick67Firebird:
How much can you get an 60's or 70s muscle car for? Well here are the constraints. Here in Australia if the vehicle is 30 years or older you are not required to convert to right hand drive. I am looking very shortly to importing an old muscle car to do up. Whats out there? Preferebly something with a BBC or SBC supercharged?

Jc

----------------
Check it out it's like this....
If I lose, winner takes my happy meal.
But if I win, I take the burger AND the TOY!
To some people thats more important.
SweetNeon

Re: hey im new and need advice!   Posted Thu Sep 16, 04   4:59 PM     

i can sell you an old muscle car and arrange shiping to your country for a reasionable price

Pages in this thread: (1) 2