This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Domestic Forum Thread views: 19675

Pages in this thread: (1) 2 3  
LS4_454
2004 SRT-4, new hp?   Posted Sat Sep 13, 03   5:25 PM     

I am starting to see new information on the '04 SRT-4. In a Mopar magazine (from Chrysler) they say Mopar Performance will have upgrades for the SRT's to push the hp up to 245, but I have seen info that the base hp will now be 230 (up from 215). Has anyone else seen any info on these lately? They also show a nice looking blue color but the main web site has the '03 colors and no blue.

MrPeabody

Re: 2004 SRT-4, new hp?   Posted Sat Sep 13, 03   6:09 PM     

I know they've changed some fuel and timing maps around to compensate for cars leaning out, and thrown in a bit bigger injectors, (I believe). I also know that the claimed 215 Hp was read at closer to 230 at the wheels, so maybe Dodge is trying to cover that up a bit.

-Ben

1970 Datsun 240Z

[External Image Removed]
BlownGTP

Re: 2004 SRT-4, new hp?   Posted Sun Sep 14, 03   12:04 PM     

They are pulling the wool over the governments eyes again. just like they did with the hemi in the early days.

ILL BE WAITING AT THE NEXT LIGHT! http://www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg
MrPeabody

Re: 2004 SRT-4, new hp?   Posted Sun Sep 14, 03   1:35 PM     

Exactly. I think it harks back to the golden days of muscle and horsepower wars. I just hope the trend picks up in more manufacturers.

-Ben

1970 Datsun 240Z

[External Image Removed]
BlownGTP

Re: 2004 SRT-4, new hp?   Posted Sun Sep 14, 03   2:43 PM     

I think it is in most cases. maybe not trying to pull the wool over the government but i do think we are seeing a good comeback to quick cars again. in all the T.V. advertisments, they mention the cars h.p. and they keep going up. Another example, we have seen new cars come out that are orientated ( spelling) on performance like the WRX, EVO, 350 Z, New GTO, SRT-4, the new GTP and the new impala ss, We are starting to see some battles taking place and i say its about time it starts again. I like sport compacts but i would like to see some more mid size power to be honest. I think the new GTP has that in the bag( in that price range) with the new series 3 S/C 3800 pumping out 265 Hp And f1 style shifting.

i think that car makers are finally listening to what the consumer wants. The cars are begining to be more of an enthusiast's car and begining to be more geared towards the driver. I just cant wait to get some of these toys on the lot to go hve some fun with. But i do think the battle has begun within the past year.

MrPeabody

Re: 2004 SRT-4, new hp?   Posted Sun Sep 14, 03   3:08 PM     

The 4-door sport compact segment is probably my favorite right now, i.e. the WRX and EVO pissing contest. For years, European and Asian markets have gotten these awesome cars while we've been jipped with the front wheel drive N/A pig counterparts. In fact, this is the first time where the US market WRX, (STi), makes more power than the other markets, and it's about damn time.

-Ben

1970 Datsun 240Z

[External Image Removed]
LS4_454
Re: 2004 SRT-4, new hp?   Posted Mon Sep 15, 03   7:05 PM     

The Mopar magazing mentioned the bigger injectors, re-mapped ECU and a diffferent waste gate to get to the 245hp, but it didn't seem like they were using it on the '04, yet. They now also have a limited slip diff availble to get the power down to both wheels.
That car already ran low 14's and should easily be in the 13's with the new hardware.
A lot of the lower ratings were also for lower insurance rates since that made it harder to sell the cars, either the Hemi or the Cobra Jet was grossly under rated at 435 or so HP and many felt it was much closer to 500, stock.

MrPeabody

Re: 2004 SRT-4, new hp?   Posted Mon Sep 15, 03   9:08 PM     

I bet the SRT-4 could hit 13's stock as it is now with a LSD.

-Ben

1970 Datsun 240Z

[External Image Removed]
Phatmatt

Re: 2004 SRT-4, new hp?   Posted Mon Sep 15, 03   10:11 PM     

yes the current SR-T4s hp is being rated wrong. Everyone is saying the same thing and after they dyno them they all clam that they were getting 230 and not 215. As far at 245? I don't know. I just know that that car is the shit and were I to get my hands on one it'd be all over.

BlownGTP

Re: 2004 SRT-4, new hp?   Posted Tue Sep 16, 03   7:48 AM     

i have actually seen one here Bone stock besides a manual boost controler run a 13.9. I have heard that the stock motor is capable of handleing 20 pounds of boost. Im impressed with the cars. Im just wondering how long they will hold up. Im a sceptic about things like that.

Phatmatt

Re: 2004 SRT-4, new hp?   Posted Tue Sep 16, 03   11:31 AM     

I was not a fan of the neons relability. Although I HAVE been impressed with the improvements made on them. The SRT-4 is scarecly a neon though. That engine is the bomb. allpar is currently testing this shit out of it and claims that they'll have some serious things to say about it in a month or two. They've already got quite a bit about it on their website though.

MY predictions? I say that it's very possible that the engine could last under serious boost. ....as long as they didn't up it dramatically all at once. you gotta ease it in.... turbocharging a car is like having sex with a 16 year old. you gotta ease it in one inch at a time. go too far to fast and you'll blow it.

VW_Nut
Re: 2004 SRT-4, new hp?   Posted Tue Sep 16, 03   12:37 PM     

Interesting analogy.

There is no substitute for cubic inches, except for cubic centimeters!
Milk

Re: 2004 SRT-4, new hp?   Posted Tue Sep 16, 03   6:20 PM     

SRT-4 is impressive
0-60 in lil less than 6 seconds? out of a 4 cylinder....tahts crazy.....but the looks are ghetto

I like BMWs
Phatmatt

Re: 2004 SRT-4, new hp?   Posted Tue Sep 16, 03   9:56 PM     

I don't really like 4 bangers to tell you the truth.... I just like turbocharged things. Turbolag is the bomb, and when someone who isn't aware of it drives a turbo chaged car, they about shit themselves when the power kicks in. .....although turbo lag ISN'T the bomb when it causes you to lose a race.

anyway the SRT-4 is by far my favorite new car currently on the market. Followed by the Sentra SE-R (and the SE-R Spec V), and the return of the Mach I Mustang..... but when are they going to bring back the Charger?

BlownGTP

Re: 2004 SRT-4, new hp?   Posted Wed Sep 17, 03   7:22 AM     

I agree about the lag thing. Its wierd when new drivers to a turbo car mash on the gas. They have that initial feeling of "thats it?" Untill that turbo spools up and throws them into the back seat.

Pages in this thread: (1) 2 3