This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Domestic Forum Thread views: 6083

uglystick
Some Lessons Are Harder Than Others....   Posted Mon Apr 21, 03   10:02 AM     

Well,

I have a close friend who lives in an apartment complex. I told him he could use my garage to act as a base for his mustang engine build.

He ported a spare set of heads very well, bought new stainless valves, trick flow springs, lifters, ford motorsport pushrods, an E303 Camshaft, Adjustible Twin Roller Chain Timing Set, BBK Headers, 1.7:1 Ratio Roller Rockers, etc.

assembled, it looked a lot like this:

[External Image Removed]

Once the lower intake was off, he port matched it as well.

He advanced the cam 4 degrees, torqued the heads down over copper head gaskets with arp head bolts.

Upon firing it up, all eight intake pushrods were bent, as well as the intake valves. The advancing of the camshaft had made the intake valve open prior to the drop of the piston on the intake stroke. There went $120 worth of valves, $70 worth of bolts and other items and perhaps a $78 three angle valve job.

Not to mention the hours on end of extra work to pull the whole front accessory assembly, timing cover & water pump, intakes & heads...the whole 9 yards. Had he puttied the motor right after putting the first head & timing set on, he could have set the cam back to stock setting and been on his way driving it on friday.

Here's the shot of the hung valves:

[External Image Removed]

The best lessons are the hardest to learn. Their value is amplified when the one learning the lesson isn't the one paying the price. It only takes a few minutes to putty & check for piston to valve clearance. It takes hours and bucks to fix a fuckup like this.

Hope y'all have learned as much as I have.

Jason

Project Junkyard Turbohund - '75 BMW 3.0 CS; M30 3.4L Straight Six; Turbonetics T3/T04E Hybrid Turbo, Custom Intake w/ Integrated Water to Air Intercooler; Haltech E6K; EBC
MrPeabody

Re: Some Lessons Are Harder Than Others....   Posted Mon Apr 21, 03   10:28 AM     

Can you say whoops...
Bummer for him.

-Ben

ProbeU

Re: Some Lessons Are Harder Than Others....   Posted Mon Apr 21, 03   6:53 PM     

..........................I really hope I never make a mistake like that. Check and double check I guess.

MrPeabody

Re: Some Lessons Are Harder Than Others....   Posted Mon Apr 21, 03   7:42 PM     

And check again... Then have a budy come over and check it a couple more times.

-Ben

LS4_454
Re: Some Lessons Are Harder Than Others....   Posted Mon Apr 21, 03   8:56 PM     

Damn! What siaze are those valves?! They look bigger than what is in my BB.
Tell him to ease up on the orange goo and let the gasket do its job, he might as well leave the gasket out with all that shit oozing out.

uglystick
Re: Some Lessons Are Harder Than Others....   Posted Tue Apr 22, 03   9:28 AM     

well luckily he has the opportunity to replace all those gaskets as well now...

jason

Project Junkyard Turbohund - '75 BMW 3.0 CS; M30 3.4L Straight Six; Turbonetics T3/T04E Hybrid Turbo, Custom Intake w/ Integrated Water to Air Intercooler; Haltech E6K; EBC
storm

Re: Some Lessons Are Harder Than Others....   Posted Sun Apr 27, 03   11:14 PM     

i bet he would

uglystick
Re: Some Lessons Are Harder Than Others....   Posted Wed Apr 30, 03   12:05 PM     

fuck off ya lil knownothing.

and the valves are stock 302 valve size...

and the car has been started...runs well..needs a rocker arm shimming and it's off to the races.

jason

MrPeabody

Re: Some Lessons Are Harder Than Others....   Posted Wed Apr 30, 03   2:08 PM     

Sweetness, obviously has a larger budget than me

-Ben