This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Domestic Forum Thread views: 30464

Pages in this thread: 1 (2) 3  
uglystick
Re: Stomper is Up & Runnin...   Posted Wed Apr 2, 03   2:56 PM     

zero degrees means the spark fires right when the piston's at top dead center in the cylinder. it should fire prior to that so the majority of the burn occurs right as the piston is switching directions. burning early = lower exhaust gas temps because the burn is contained longer in the chamber and more heat is absorbed by the block/head instead of being released into the exhaust.

retarded = mucho torque, no loss of traction, pretty much no get up and go.

advanced = mucho hp, loss of traction, get up and go. but the ENGINE runs hotter because more heat is contained in the block which requires the water & oil to cool it.

any other questions, ask.

jason

Project Junkyard Turbohund - '75 BMW 3.0 CS; M30 3.6L Straight Six; Garrett GT35 Ball Bearing Turbo, Custom Intake w/ Integrated Water to Air Intercooler; Haltech E6K; EBC
hooyeah
Re: Stomper is Up & Runnin...   Posted Wed Apr 2, 03   3:00 PM     

what motor does that have anyway? 345 i think i remember yo saying don't know anytihng about ih motors at all

big block small block ci hp and torque numbers at rpm?

thought ya said ya werent' lifting it?

what if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
LethalToy

Re: Stomper is Up & Runnin...   Posted Wed Apr 2, 03   7:39 PM     

In reply to:

retarded = mucho torque, no loss of traction, pretty much no get up and go.

no. retarded = douchemob

-----------------------------------------------------------

Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal.
Satanismycopilot
Re: Stomper is Up & Runnin...   Posted Thu Apr 3, 03   3:17 PM     

so if you were to advance the timeing you should put a cooler thermostat so the engine does not run as hot?

Re: Stomper is Up & Runnin...   Posted Fri Apr 4, 03   8:46 AM     

cooler thermostat doesn't necessarily = cooler running engine. if your engine is running hot and you put a cooler (ie lower temp triggered) thermostat in, you may actually overheat, as the water in the rad doesn't have time to cool enough, plus the heat sink in a quickly circulating system like that will overcome the ability of the system to cool per cycle.

now, if you were running a drag car with higher advance you could easily swap thermostats to a lower temp and not worry about it, as the running time of the car isn't enough to produce the problems illustrated above. when i first got my el camino it had NO thermostat in it. none. zero. not even one with holes drilled in it. water system ran on convection & the pump. that's it. it'd run really cool for about 30 to 40 minutes then it was ugly.

jason

Project Junkyard Turbohund - '75 BMW 3.0 CS; M30 3.6L Straight Six; Garrett GT35 Ball Bearing Turbo, Custom Intake w/ Integrated Water to Air Intercooler; Haltech E6K; EBC
Gorgoth3k1

Re: Stomper is Up & Runnin...   Posted Wed May 7, 03   9:58 PM     

man... i just found out that a friend of mine has a scout with a 435 in it... hehe... that thing is FUN... we went out into the woods with it.... no trail... or... atleast there wasn't a trail BEFORE we got there... hehe... we would be drivin in a small clearing with nothing but a medium-sized cedar tree in the middle and kyle just kept drivin straight and went right OVER the tree... didnt even feel the thing... the only thing that got hurt on the scout was because we forgot to pull the mirrors in and one of the trees we ran over broke the passenger side mirror... hehe... then of course we had to drop it into 2wd and do donuts in grass fields... 4wd just wasn't enuf fun for donuts but that scout is the SHIT... we were drivin down this main road (which is an old country road but main road where i live) and we'd run off into the dirt and grass beside the road and it would feel the same as if we were on the asphault... hehe...

fun fun fun scout... lol...

-Gor

-------------------------------------------------------------
[External Image Removed]
Caddy 500ci. Fiero
uglystick
Re: Stomper is Up & Runnin...   Posted Thu May 8, 03   11:42 AM     

right on. we went in search of 4 wheeling grounds last night after work and failed miserably. all of the old haunts we used to go wheeling at are all blocked off...like with piles of refridgerators and signs that say 'tresspassers will be shot.'

i had a little update on the scout too, so i thought i'd share it here...my old thread!

i got the whole scout rewired with a 7 circuit painless auxilary fuse block & relay setup. the four switched circuits run the efi, msd, timing control & petronix igniter.

i also got a lot of the gauges rewired and ready to install with the new dash panel. it wasn't too much work, just rather time consuming. i also put most of the underhood wiring in plastic wire looms to keep it looking nice and out of the way of linkages, etc.

the photos are below...the first photos around are the 'before' the second set are 'after.'

as you can see, the interior still has a ways to go. the maserati seats are looking rather scary...

http://orionoutdoor.com/users/jason/web/scoutwire/

and a recent photo for the archives:

[External Image Removed]

later...

jason

Project Junkyard Turbohund - '75 BMW 3.0 CS; M30 3.4L Straight Six; Turbonetics T3/T04E Hybrid Turbo, Custom Intake w/ Integrated Water to Air Intercooler; Haltech E6K; EBC
uglystick
Re: Stomper is Up & Runnin...   Posted Fri May 9, 03   12:11 PM     

my god...i just tracked down the previous owner of my scout (the guy who sold it to the guy i bought it from) by accident.

got a wrong number from 411 while trying to track him down, explained the situation to the guy i was talking to who said, 'a '78 scout, brown with black leather seats? that was MINE!'

unfuckingbelievable.

jason

Project Junkyard Turbohund - '75 BMW 3.0 CS; M30 3.4L Straight Six; Turbonetics T3/T04E Hybrid Turbo, Custom Intake w/ Integrated Water to Air Intercooler; Haltech E6K; EBC
BlownGTP

Re: Stomper is Up & Runnin...   Posted Fri May 9, 03   1:05 PM     

leather seats? are you sure they arent vynal?

ILL BE WAITING AT THE NEXT LIGHT!
uglystick
Re: Stomper is Up & Runnin...   Posted Fri May 9, 03   2:00 PM     

they're leather. out of a maserati. the guy i tracked down is the owner of an independent maserati/ferrari shop. he installed them.

jason

BlownGTP

Re: Stomper is Up & Runnin...   Posted Sat May 10, 03   9:38 AM     

ah ok, it makes sense now.

ILL BE WAITING AT THE NEXT LIGHT!
Gorgoth3k1

Re: Stomper is Up & Runnin...   Posted Sun May 18, 03   6:19 PM     

man... your scout is a lot nicer than kyle's... LOL..

his doesn't look that great, but its a BEAST!!!

Scouts are the shit.. LOL

-Gor

-------------------------------------------------------------
[External Image Removed]
Caddy 500ci. Fiero
uglystick
Got the Dash IN!!!!   Posted Fri May 30, 03   10:49 AM     

Here are some photos of things i worked on this weekend:

the wood dash bezel installed:

[External Image Removed]

whole dash assembled out of the truck:

[External Image Removed]

[External Image Removed]

the beautiful fiddleback maple burl is like this all over the wood bezel:

[External Image Removed]

dash in the car, done...yes that's a rampage stereo. ground shakin bass, yo.

[External Image Removed]

dad's saab w/ ghost flames, we pulled the engine and i brought it home to build:

[External Image Removed]

an old nostalgic look at the IH:

[External Image Removed]

hope you enjoy the photos, it sure is nice to have a dash!

too bad my transfer case took a shit on the way home. truck still runs but wants to pop out of 2wh into 4wh...clank...clank....clank. got us home fine in....FOUR WHEEL HIGH!!! LOL.

now it's time for those 4:1 terra low gears and a twin stick.

jason

Stryker
Re: Got the Dash IN!!!!   Posted Fri May 30, 03   6:45 PM     

The ghost flames on that saab look badass.

~~~::<Curtis Stryker>::~~~
CVSR's Undisputed Asshole
MrPeabody

Re: Got the Dash IN!!!!   Posted Fri May 30, 03   7:28 PM     

Dash looks awesome. The finish is ubersweet

-Ben

Pages in this thread: 1 (2) 3