This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Domestic Forum Thread views: 11231

Pages in this thread: (1) 2  
JcAus
Need some help   Posted Wed Feb 19, 03   3:54 PM     

Hey I need some help about 70's odd Camaros.

What are some typical problems with the cars? What should one look out for in em?

The reason why I am asking is that I am not sure if I should buy another import. Parts are as hard as shit to get for em, and there are problems where no one knows how to fix em. The Camaros, even though are imports, there are a lot of work shops out here that work and build V8's. Plus I am going to be starting uni and I need some thing else.

I dunno I am so confused about what I want to do.

I mean I can like pick up a 1977 model Camaro with good paint and interior for $9500 AUD about $4900 USD and has been converted to RHD for aussie roads, and like I can put some work into the 350 motor and get it Kaining some arse. I mean whats the performance like in em.

Auto gearbox, and 350 motor

Please any info would be great

Jc

----------------
Check it out it's like this....
If I lose, winner takes my happy meal.
But if I win, I take the burger AND the TOY!
To some people thats more important.
BlownGTP

Re: Need some help   Posted Wed Feb 19, 03   4:01 PM     

LOL, its funny hearing a camaro being refered to as an import. There really isnt any major problems with those cars in my opinion. they usually come with the TH350 trans if im not mistaken with a 350 C.I. motor. pretty much bullet proof in my opinion. The only thing we watch for is rust over here. The motors stock are pretty much slugs but with minor work, you can get it to scoot pretty good.

ILL BE WAITING AT THE NEXT LIGHT!
JcAus
Re: Need some help   Posted Wed Feb 19, 03   4:06 PM     

There are so many places that can do some extra-ordinary stuff to the V8s. I am not sure about it though. I mean alot of the girls out here love the "riced" out cars, but by the same token I want to see their faces when a old school car kicks their arse (?maybe?)

What are the performance like, I mean to a stock 180sx or WRX or like some other ricey import

Jc

----------------
uglystick
Re: Need some help   Posted Wed Feb 19, 03   4:37 PM     

just look what dot did with the fuggin 305 or whatever. it was a junkyard motor, he bought a cam, intake, carb and headers and the bitch run's low 13's.

nuff said. cost to make it haul ass is low. that car is a tank, and we can get you ANYTHING you can't get over there for even cheaper over here.

get pics. that price seems pretty high!! i'm curious to see the car. as for restoration parts, i can get you damn near anything here right in town (chevyland is ten minutes from my work), and ship it out for a low rate.

jason

Project Junkyard Greyhound - '75 BMW 3.0 CS; Twin Turbo, Custom Intake w/ Integrated Water to Air Intercooler; External Rayjay Wastegate @ 1psi; Haltech E6K
JcAus
Re: Need some help   Posted Wed Feb 19, 03   4:48 PM     

If I can get a car for cheap over in the US that is 30 years old I dont need to convert it to RHD either so I will find some pics and let you all see.

Thanks Jason, I will keep in mind for part and things

Jc

----------------
hooyeah
Re: Need some help   Posted Wed Feb 19, 03   5:41 PM     

hmmm well so you need 73 and back cars thats the 2nd gen body style in my opinion one of the best..the beautiful thing about the 350 is they use the same motor in holdens ect... so i can't see parts for it engine wise being a problem at all. over all they're pretty strong cars and can look fuggin mean

what if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
sweetdevil
Re: Need some help   Posted Thu Feb 20, 03   8:20 AM     

ya, DOT did that on a budget through Highschool with it as his daily driver... It's a great motor to build for cheap, plus the Camaro's are a little lighter than the El Camino's... lol

Sweet Devil Clothing
Ride Like HELL!
JcAus
Re: Need some help   Posted Thu Feb 20, 03   4:26 PM     

I thought that the El caminos were Utes and that Utes were lighter than sedan\coupes

JC

----------------
hooyeah
Re: Need some help   Posted Thu Feb 20, 03   4:44 PM     

the el camino is based on a chevelle body the camaro is the classic f body i'd say they're probably close in weights but the f body is generally alot lighter then the chevelle body

Cutlass

Re: Need some help   Posted Thu Feb 20, 03   6:25 PM     

first thing make sure its a 350 if thats the motor you want, a lot of the later cars had 305s. the one area that has problems on those camaros are the window tracks coming loose and it makes it really easy to break into so be sure to check that. after 1975 all the HP levels droped dramatically so you'll probably have to build up the motor to make a diecent amount of power, at the very least i'd do some porting and a cam, intake and headers.

-------------- 470 cubic inches of pissed off Oldsmobile.
Gorgoth3k1

Re: Need some help   Posted Thu Feb 20, 03   6:35 PM     

Make sure to check for rust holes around the front and rear windshields.... Every classic camaro I've seen has rust in those spots... a friend of mine's 69 camaro has to have the entire top half of the car replaced because of rust.... and you'd prolly wanna check the unibody, those mary's are unibodies, right? I know all the Ford mustangs were back then... never restored a camaro tho.... need any mustang help tho, just ask... LOL.... friend of mine just finished restoring his 65 Mustang with a 3-spd manual.... nice car... but only an I6... I prefer my 65 GT with a 289 v8... hehe... wish i hadn't sold it some times... it was a fun car...

but ya... mustangs are bitchin.. you should check some of them out **hint hint**

haha...

-Gor

-------------------------------------------------------------
[External Image Removed]
Caddy 500ci. Fiero
hooyeah
Re: Need some help   Posted Thu Feb 20, 03   9:48 PM     

ah ha theres the words i was looking for i beleive the elcamino is heavier because it has a frame the camaro is unibody

MrPeabody

Re: Need some help   Posted Thu Feb 20, 03   10:22 PM     

The F bodies weren't full frame? I thought only the Nova's were unibody. Hmmm...

-Ben

uglystick
Re: Need some help   Posted Fri Feb 21, 03   9:51 AM     

the later nova's (70+) used 67-69 camaro front and rear subframes!! they had the same unibody as the original mary's did.

onto the el camino, it is the same as a chevelle with a 1' longer frame (same frame as the 'velle wagon, which is why there is a panel in the bed of the el camino - it covers the floorpan area that was intended for the back seat in a wagon). contrary to popular belief, the el camino weighs more in the rear than a chevelle.

and weighs more than a chevelle overall. but not more than a chevelle wagon.

the fbodies don't have a frame, they were unibody from the get go in '67. in '70 they updated the suspensions, and used all the overstock supsension bits from the 60's on the 70's nova's.

jason

Project Junkyard Greyhound - '75 BMW 3.0 CS; Twin Turbo, Custom Intake w/ Integrated Water to Air Intercooler; External Rayjay Wastegate @ 1psi; Haltech E6K
Satanismycopilot
Re: Need some help   Posted Sun Feb 23, 03   6:52 PM     

wow now that was a wealth of information...i was always lead to believe the el caminos were lighter in the ass because of the truck bed. thanks for clearing that up