This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Domestic Forum Thread views: 7683

2000EclipseGT

98 Mustang GT help.. Exhaust, Headers   Posted Tue Dec 17, 02   8:34 AM     

Hi guys, I'm from the Import forum. Don't murder me, I like domestics too. :P

Anyhow, my father not long ago, purchased a 98 Mustang GT with leather etc for 6,000.. he got a GREAT steal on it. Just needs the 2nd amp for the alpine sound system, and things like an A/C vent fixed. We had to fix a gear problem, but thats ok, was free from PAE Enterprises.

Christmas is almost here, and I'm set on getting him a cat-back exhaust system, I think - since it has stock headers in it, even if they aren't competition. The exhaust would make the car sound great, and also add more bang than replacing the headers would. I'm wondering what some of the better ones are, I don't wish to make a poor choice. Good brand, etc. The whole tamale.

Also, I'm curious..

As a whole, if you are into the racing scene, would you not agree that a lot of domestics like v8 mustangs and older hot rods etc are more capable of dishing it out, than imports like my Eclipse? I mean, it seems a hell of a lot harder to put horses into an import than a domestic with a stock 250hp v8.. I may trade in my eclipse for a 2001 mustang GT, if possible. I'm really hoping to get into the tracks, and have some fun down the line.

Thanks guys - sorry if I come across as a hopeless newbie.

Stryker
Re: 98 Mustang GT help.. Exhaust, Headers   Posted Tue Dec 17, 02   8:38 AM     

They are more capable of 'dishin it out' and producing more horsepower cause of those damn 4 extra cylinders *2 in some cases*
It's easier and cheaper to get more horsepower out of a v8 than a 4 banger...

~~~::<Curtis Stryker>::~~~
They say a smile is a gift which is free to the giver and precious to the recipient. But giving the finger is free too, and I find it more personal and sincere.
MrPeabody

Re: 98 Mustang GT help.. Exhaust, Headers   Posted Tue Dec 17, 02   12:12 PM     

Yes, it is easier and cheaper to make HP on a V8. THough I would suggest going with something pre 74. You won't have to smogg it, and there will be allot more parts. Especially a Smaal Block CHevy, there's gobs of parts for those.

My .02$

-Ben

2000EclipseGT

Re: 98 Mustang GT help.. Exhaust, Headers   Posted Tue Dec 17, 02   12:27 PM     

If I get a pre-74 car, it will be a 67-69 Camaro. That is my dream hotrod.. its just hard to find them with factory A/C and little rust. Almost all I find you need to repair old cracked bondo and crap like that, too much damn trouble. I don't like the way the older mustangs look too much ; ) Also, I like to drive comfortably.. not like I'm driving a giant steel box of hell.

I'm also full of shit, and don't know what I'm talking about really. =)

MrPeabody

Re: 98 Mustang GT help.. Exhaust, Headers   Posted Tue Dec 17, 02   12:34 PM     

Bah, I say stick with newer imports, sell you new eclipse and get an older GSX, they can be hella fast, (good ol AWD)

-Ben

2000EclipseGT

Re: 98 Mustang GT help.. Exhaust, Headers   Posted Tue Dec 17, 02   1:01 PM     

lol. You seen the saleen kits for 98 stangs? With a depressed hood/cobra hood scoop, and that body kit, 98 stangs look badass... its the same kit I linked up above.. but without that crappy ass dual hood scoop deal.

hooyeah
Re: 98 Mustang GT help.. Exhaust, Headers   Posted Tue Dec 17, 02   2:59 PM     

if you're gonna get a domestic don't get anything new if you want a stang get an 80s stang if you want a camaro or firebird go 70s or 60s

8 valve OHC 4 cyl 95 cubic inches of pissed off pontiac power 65 HP 80 ft-lbs w/Borg-Warner T5 2300lbs
VROOMMMM!
Cutlass

Re: 98 Mustang GT help.. Exhaust, Headers   Posted Tue Dec 17, 02   4:31 PM     

to answer the question... Flow Master makes a kit and they sound ok. i'm sure at some point you've heard it on a Stang. there is also a side pipe kit from Roush performance, i'm not a big fan of this kit but its something other than the Flow Master kit that everyone likes to run.

-------------- 470 cubic inches of pissed off Oldsmobile.
1969Stang
Re: 98 Mustang GT help.. Exhaust, Headers   Posted Wed Dec 18, 02   9:56 PM     

for the loudest its bassini or something like that i also believe they gave the most rwhp. It was in one of the mustang magizins one or two months ago...I'll tell you tomorrow for sure

Go Ahead....
Unleash your Beast....
Mine will be waiting...
97Cobra
Re: 98 Mustang GT help.. Exhaust, Headers   Posted Tue Jan 7, 03   5:05 PM     

Accurate answer to the question would be for you to get the headers...or get an OFF ROAD catless H Pipe. The mufflers do nothing for performance on a 96+ mustang. I've had a 96 GT and currently run a 97 Cobra...best bang for the buck is to remove the cats (replace with a bbk off road h pipe) keep the stocker pipes for emissions testing. If you decide to stick with the gt then get the gears done. You'll find that the GT (96-98) are limited in how fast they can go without changing the heads.

Steve
97 Cobra
uglystick
Re: 98 Mustang GT help.. Exhaust, Headers   Posted Tue Jan 7, 03   5:16 PM     

hey steve

ever heard of an adjustible clutch quadrant? we just installed one on a friend's old 5.0 and man oh man that's cool. i've never had a cable shifted car so never seen that kind of thing, but i was thoroughly impressed.

know where i can find some good used gt40 heads on the cheap? friend's birthday is coming up...

jason

Project Junkyard Greyhound - '75 BMW 3.0 CS; Korman Twin Turbo Intake w/ Integrated Water to Air Intercooler; Single T3/T4 Turbo w/ Rayjay Adjustible Wastegate; Haltech E6K
Satanismycopilot
Re: 98 Mustang GT help.. Exhaust, Headers   Posted Wed Jan 15, 03   6:51 PM     

buy an issue of Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords....all kinds of ads for shiat for thed 5.0 prolly find what you need in their