This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Domestic Forum Thread views: 67507

Pages in this thread: 1 2 (3) 4 5  
MrPeabody

Re: A lil help from you gear heads   Posted Tue Oct 29, 02   11:34 PM     

Dude, shaweet 69 SS. Just my dream muscle car, well, other than a 69 Nova with a 427 Man you're parents must be loaded if your first car is a 69 SS 'maro, i'm jelious

-Ben

Satanismycopilot
Re: A lil help from you gear heads   Posted Wed Oct 30, 02   8:09 AM     

"i wouldnt know. i just wanna put a 347 Stroker in my cougar and i just wanna know do i need to bore the 302 block to 347ci then buy the 347 Stroker kit OR by buying the 347 Stroker kit does that the 302 ci block become a 347 ci block "

anyone know the answer to this question?

Re: A lil help from you gear heads   Posted Wed Oct 30, 02   8:50 AM     

you will probably have to bore it and get the stroker crank

ford racing the biggest oxymoron EVER!
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
resident chevette lover!

future chevette lover ->> [External Image Removed]
uglystick
Re: A lil help from you gear heads   Posted Wed Oct 30, 02   10:40 AM     

i can only tell you what i know about the chevy's.

first off, it sounds like quik67 is noting that the webbing on the block will have to be notched to run the 347. i don't know if this is necessarily true. i simply don't know. but changing the piston pin height (custom pistons) and changing the rod length might be able to achieve the 347 without doing so.

if you ask me dood, don't bother with the stroker. it most likely requires punching out the stock bore (like the chevy, a 383 stroker is a 400 crank in a 350 bored .030 over). i just think you'd crap your drawers if you had a well built 302 with a good stall converter and cam.

boring the engine is changing the diameter of the cylinder. stroking it is changing the distance between the centerline of the crank to the centerline of the rod journal. capiche? most stroker kits do both, so you can complete them on a stock bottom end and get a well finished setup. if you didn't bore it out, you'd end up with old ring wear from the last set of rings/cylinder wear, etc.

now, honstely, how much money do you have? the stroker is going to run you upwards of $6000 at least. i'm just bein honest. a decent 302 plus cam, and a good stall converter ain't gonna get you over the $3000 mark.

jason

'75 BMW 3.0 CS - Terribly Un-stock.
Satanismycopilot
Re: A lil help from you gear heads   Posted Wed Oct 30, 02   11:05 AM     

well first i must say thank you to everyone for giving me all this much needed info.

and i looked up 347 stroker crate engines w/ EFI because you cant fit a carb engine under my hood i dont have the clearence. they run around 6000-7500 bucks...that kind of money i dont have...well i dont have any at all as of right now. because to do this swap i have to find a wrecked cougar xr7 for the ECU, wiring harnesses, rear, and i need a better tranny because the stock AOD tranny's cant handle alot of power.

i think im gonna take uglystick's advice and just put a nice mildly worked 302 in there no need for a stroker with 400+ hp. i dont need any more the 300hp to be honest. Im going more for nice looks and sound then balls to the wall racing.

once again thank you for all your advice im sure i will be asking more questions as i advance into this project

Re: A lil help from you gear heads   Posted Wed Oct 30, 02   7:49 PM     

to get a 347 stroker you need a 3.40 stroke and a 4.030 bore. if you would like to make it an easy task Summit sells a short block 347 stroker kit fully balanced for 2,459. just add your heads cam intake and timing set.

-------------- 470 cubic inches of pissed off Oldsmobile.
Satanismycopilot
Re: A lil help from you gear heads   Posted Thu Oct 31, 02   4:45 PM     

oh really....thats kool...i wish i had that kind of money

Re: A lil help from you gear heads   Posted Fri Nov 15, 02   10:10 AM     

Where are you located?
I know of a shop that will custom make you a Header.
This Shop, can custom make you almost anything.

1969Stang
Re: A lil help from you gear heads   Posted Fri Nov 15, 02   1:49 PM     

okay i have some websites for you....I thought first that all xr7s are 6's...my grandma had a 93 xr7 v-6 3.8...anyways... here you go read everything you can just go to faq. if you really want to do this. Besides the xr7's when they are the six they can be faster then the 8 and they cougars are the same as then thuderbird SC's the only reason they are slower is because of the exhaust system is very very restrictive can you say blown head gaskets...anyways
http://www.allenengine.com/
http://www.mn12performance.com/
http://www.nthcoast.com/TbirdSC.html
http://www.sccoa.com/
http://www.supercoupeperformance.com/
http://www.tccoa.com/
i think thats good for now...if you need anymore then just pm me or something...
If i were you i'd go and try to find a SC thunderbird or something...alot more of those then the supercharged cougars...btw many people think SC stands for suprercharged...it doesn't...it means supercoupe..and SHO(taurus) stands for Super High Performance and the engines I believe were made by kawaski or something...some crazy shit like that..

Go Ahead....
Unleash your Beast....
Mine will be waiting...
uglystick
SATANISMYCOPILOT...   Posted Fri Nov 15, 02   1:51 PM     

have you bought anything yet for this 302 plan? if not, get ahold of me via email (below). i have a better idea for you.

jason@orionoutdoor.com

1969Stang
Re: A lil help from you gear heads   Posted Fri Nov 15, 02   2:08 PM     

if you go with the v-6 the headers are like 300-1000 something like that...we put it on a supercoupe with a different pulley, high flow cats and 3 1/2 in. pipeing with flows...and custom mandrel bent tube for the intake a bigger throttle body k&n filter and a L-MAF unit, and a 190gph fuel pump, different pulleys and there we go we race my friends M3 kicked his ass. mawhahahh...best time so far is 13.2 I love his car next we get a stall converter, and reprogram the computer for even better performance...of course we had to when we put on the L-MAF sensor and the other good stuff...I get better gas mileage then the mustang and grand prix too....and faster...mainly because the stang isn't running right now...lol....rebuild and EFI now....well i'm thinking of keeping it EFI it came out of a Fox body...Then I'm going to race DOT...lol...I would race you uglystick but your too damn far...oh well...I'm going to bedone with everything a little after the first of the year.

Go Ahead....
Unleash your Beast....
Mine will be waiting...
uglystick
Re: A lil help from you gear heads   Posted Fri Nov 15, 02   5:30 PM     

ok.

i'm just gonna say it. fuck the 302. run a supercoupe 3.8l blown 6. i can get you a deal on one. it's plug and play.

jason

Satanismycopilot
Re: A lil help from you gear heads   Posted Fri Nov 15, 02   9:31 PM     

i was considering puttin the blown 3.8 BUT here in Jersey 89-90SC's and XR7's are hard to come buy because most of the mexcians buy them and crash em. i mean i could go to the junkyard and have them find the parts. i know i need the SC bloack w/ supercharger, bigger radiator, new bell housing, and the 8.8 posi rear. and the computer will compinsate for the new power. the reason i wanna 5.0 is because i wanna go na not blown. with c5 tranny w/ mvb and 8.8 posi rear with 3.73:1 or 4.11:1 gears.

now conserning the statement 1969stang. he said he thought all cougars were v6's. in the 89-90 model years the LS was the base 3.8 v6 and the XR7 was the SC 3.8v6. in 1991 ford finally stuffed the 5.0 into the cougar and it was the standard engine in the XR7 and an option for the LS but the base LS was a 3.8. this continued till 93 model year where the LS model was dropped and all Cougars became XR7's and then had the base XR7 was a 3.8 and the 5.0 was an option. in 94 the 5.0 was replaced with the 4.6 and all XR7's came with either the 3.8 or 4.6. i can tell you almost anthing you need to know about stock cougars 89-97. i know nothing about aftermarket

/end rant Maverick punching out

Re: A lil help from you gear heads   Posted Sat Nov 16, 02   7:34 AM     

yea, put the s/c 3800 in. mine is a GM but i still love the motor. ford uses the same s/c as the GM. its called the eaton M90.

--------------------------------------------------------------ILL BE WAITING AT THE NEXT LIGHT!
Satanismycopilot
Re: A lil help from you gear heads   Posted Sat Nov 16, 02   1:04 PM     

now that i thought about it i think i will just sup up an SC motor like ugly said it just plug & play. after complete rebuild of course w/ cam, ported heads, headers. i kan still put in a C5 or C6 tranny on the car right?