This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Domestic Forum Thread views: 67507

Pages in this thread: 1 (2) 3 4 5  
Satanismycopilot
Re: A lil help from you gear heads   Posted Sat Oct 26, 02   10:49 PM     

oh any word on weather or not i can paint the chrome on the mouldings???

hooyeah
Re: A lil help from you gear heads   Posted Sat Oct 26, 02   11:08 PM     

buy chrome primer then you should be able to ask a paint shop for a paint to cover chrome parts

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
resident chevette lover!

future chevette lover ->> [External Image Removed]
uglystick
Re: A lil help from you gear heads   Posted Mon Oct 28, 02   10:36 AM     

yeah any kind of self etching primer will grab right into that chrome and allow it to be painted.

'75 BMW 3.0 CS - Terribly Un-stock.
Satanismycopilot
Re: A lil help from you gear heads   Posted Tue Oct 29, 02   3:56 PM     

ok cool thanks. ummmm question any idea on how much i would cost to turn a 302 into a 347stroker?

uglystick
Re: A lil help from you gear heads   Posted Tue Oct 29, 02   3:58 PM     

http://www.race-prep.com

click on engine packages.

as for doing it yourself, the cost of a crank, rods and pistons. that is if you want to do it right and get the rod/stroke ratio as high as possible to avoid cylinder wall wear. call paw (performance auto warehouse), as they probably have the kit.

jason

Satanismycopilot
Re: A lil help from you gear heads   Posted Tue Oct 29, 02   4:21 PM     

that 347 they have there is that a stroker? and where is Performance Auto Warehouse located i live in new jersey.

uglystick
Re: A lil help from you gear heads   Posted Tue Oct 29, 02   4:48 PM     

paw is in california, but it's the largest mail order engine bits seller in the usa. they sell full crank kits for like 700 bucks, crank, rods, pistons, cam, rings, bearings, etc, etc, etc... look em up on the internet or find their ad in any hot rod magazine from 196x to today, the yellow and black yellow pages looking two page spread that is in about 4 point font...

and the race-prep engines are both strokers, the 347 ford and 383 chibby.

jason

Satanismycopilot
Re: A lil help from you gear heads   Posted Tue Oct 29, 02   7:45 PM     

ok ok...being im an admitted gearhead wannabe but has friends who are. the stroker kit does that require boring the block out to make it 347 or does the changin of the crank and piston change the cubes and displacement?

hooyeah
Re: A lil help from you gear heads   Posted Tue Oct 29, 02   8:08 PM     

the bigger stroke will change your displacement pistons will not the displacement is the amount of air the engine pushes think of it as a big bike pump no matter what pistons you have they still move the same amount the crank is what changes how much the piston moves a taller bike pump pushes more air then a short bike pump thats what the stroker does

the bore also changes displacement again a fatter bike pump pushes more air than a skinny bike pump

ford racing the biggest oxymoron EVER!
resident chevette lover!

69ChevymaroSS

Re: A lil help from you gear heads   Posted Tue Oct 29, 02   8:09 PM     

If u wanna get ur block bored out to a 347 ur gonna need to take it to a machine shop and get it notched. you need to do that otherwise ur damn piston and rod with be goin threw ur cylinder head and that would suck. Also when u stroke an engine ur taking away steel which is gonna make ur block more likely to throw a rod and no as strong as a straight 302. Ull be lookin at a price of about $200-300 to get it bored out

hooyeah
Re: A lil help from you gear heads   Posted Tue Oct 29, 02   8:12 PM     

how are you taking away steel?

resident chevette lover!

Satanismycopilot
Re: A lil help from you gear heads   Posted Tue Oct 29, 02   8:18 PM     

well that kinda of answered the question....so does that mean to make it a 347 stroker i have to get it bored or does the stroker kit (ie crank & pistons) change it to 347. because i know the chevy 400 is just a 350 with a basicly a different crank(at least thats what my chevy gearhead friend who races chevy's told me)

so far only known MN-12 chassis (cougar/tbird)ford lover on the site
hooyeah
Re: A lil help from you gear heads   Posted Tue Oct 29, 02   8:51 PM     

whats the stroke on the new crank whats the bore of the cylinders? i can calculate it for ya if u want

resident chevette lover!

Satanismycopilot
Re: A lil help from you gear heads   Posted Tue Oct 29, 02   9:06 PM     

i wouldnt know. i just wanna put a 347 Stroker in my cougar and i just wanna know do i need to bore the 302 block to 347ci then buy the 347 Stroker kit OR by buying the 347 Stroker kit does that the 302 ci block become a 347 ci block

Re: A lil help from you gear heads   Posted Tue Oct 29, 02   10:18 PM     

can't tell you that unless i was a ford guy which i'm not but someone here may be able to tell you you may have to bore the block anyway i would start with a fresh rebuild from the block up and don't miss a detail

resident chevette lover!

Pages in this thread: 1 (2) 3 4 5