This forum has been archived. You will not be able to log in, register, or post.

Main >> Classifieds Thread views: 23529

Pages in this thread: (1) 2  
uglystick
1987 BMW 535is $2000 OBO (Details Inside)   Posted Wed Jul 21, 04   4:21 AM     

She's tan/silver and looks like a generic q-car, but here are the cool parts:

Black leather interior w/ recaro 10 way adjustible electric sport seats.
7 Series Hood Struts (you can pull the engine w/ the hood still on the car it stands on end with these things)
South African Fuel Cooling Package (super rare, no clue if it was stock)
Euro Hella Front Headlight Assembly w/ oversized outboard lamps.
US Dealer Installed Sport Package w/ front & rear spoilers and sport suspension.
3.5 Liter SOHC Inline 6 cylinder; 4 speed Overdrive Automatic w/ sport/economy/manual modes; 3.25 rear gearset for some SERIOUS high end speed capabilities. Passes anything on the freeway from 60mph and nobody will catch you till 80.

Seriously fun daily driver, plenty of available mods, turbo kits, etc. Not pretty, totally off the radar...your typical Q-brick. 135,000 miles, good compression test.

jaguar@orionoutdoor.com

SweetNeon

Re: 1987 BMW 535is $2000 OBO (Details Inside)   Posted Wed Jul 21, 04   6:41 PM     

what does a South African Fuel Cooling Package consist of?

uglystick
Re: 1987 BMW 535is $2000 OBO (Details Inside)   Posted Wed Jul 21, 04   9:29 PM     

a whacky system that uses freon to cool the fuel (to prevent vaporlock in areas like south africa i guess where it gets 140 degrees outside). i've even heard that they put the cars further off the ground there to keep them from cooking the passengers.

ok i'll shut up, i'm being a smartass.

jason

SweetNeon

Re: 1987 BMW 535is $2000 OBO (Details Inside)   Posted Fri Jul 23, 04   6:54 PM     

sounds kinda kool "no pun intended" , did you retrofit it for R134a ?

uglystick
Re: 1987 BMW 535is $2000 OBO (Details Inside)   Posted Sun Jul 25, 04   1:17 PM     

lol, no. so i suppose for all intents and purposes it don't work. but you can always use autofrost, an r12 replacement. The system is still contained and lubricated. i would probably charge it prior to sale so the a/c and fuel cooler would work.

jason

SweetNeon

Re: 1987 BMW 535is $2000 OBO (Details Inside)   Posted Sun Jul 25, 04   2:16 PM     

im curious to see a lay out of that cooling system, got any web sites?

uglystick
Re: 1987 BMW 535is $2000 OBO (Details Inside)   Posted Sun Jul 25, 04   2:59 PM     

no, but i do have a bentley manual. i doubt the cooler is in there though. (edited: it's not, i just checked, but it's attached to the high pressure side of the system somewhere between the condenser and the receiver dryer (i don't know which side of the evaporator can it's on).

jaguar xj-s v12 cooling systems do the same thing to prevent vaporlock. and that is stock. my haynes rag is at my pop's house, but when i end up with it back here i can scan a copy of it.

until then let me take a look and see what i can find online. there is actually a cylindrical cooler that has the fuel going in/out longitudinally through it, then a pair of freon lines going into the sides of the cylinder as well.

jason

uglystick
Re: 1987 BMW 535is $2000 OBO (Details Inside)   Posted Thu Aug 5, 04   12:20 AM     

Well it's not for sale anymore. The transmission has officially shit the crib.

If you want parts, email me. And hell no you can't have the seats, they're going in my IH Scout!

Jason

LS4_454
Re: 1987 BMW 535is $2000 OBO (Details Inside)   Posted Thu Aug 5, 04   9:01 PM     

Hey Jason,
The fuel cooler was stock and later discontinued when the cooler would develope a internal leak then mix the freon with the gas, now you have mustard gas out the exhaust.
Although it should be connected to the low side of the a/c system since the high side gets hot which would contribute to vapor lock and the low side gets cool.
R134 will work in that but you have to re wire the aux fan so it works on high to keep the high side pressure down, i wouldn't touch any of the "alternative R12" freons.
What is your project of the year?

BlownGTP

Re: 1987 BMW 535is $2000 OBO (Details Inside)   Posted Fri Aug 6, 04   8:03 AM     

Hey LS, I have a quick question for you. What should I be watching for as far as problems on a 90 735i with 200k on the clock? A buddy of mine just bought one and the car runs and drives great. He pounds the shit out of the car too. I tell him not to but he keeps doing it. The car was a one owner car with all the service history. He say that if the motor goes, he plans to do a LT1 swap in the car. Thanks for the heads up in advance.

And jason, im sorry to bastardize your thread. Maybe you will even have an answer for me.

ILL BE WAITING AT THE NEXT LIGHT! http://www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg
uglystick
Re: 1987 BMW 535is $2000 OBO (Details Inside)   Posted Sat Aug 7, 04   2:05 AM     

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH that's fuckin hillarious. Mustard gas out the exhaust. I can just see it now - "Your car's SMOKIN ya FUCKIN YUPPIE - cough cough - hack hack...."

Still workin on the 383 powered jag xj-s and turbo 3.0 cs. both should be done by years end. then we go take grampa's lunch money "Yo! Gramps, think your hemi desoto can run with this little german greyhound?"

The jag is tenatively done, I have to get the quad sidedraft efi on it and get some carpet/headliner/door panels that are in good shape and it should be ready to hit the bricks.

The bimmer engine is done, just have to finish some body work/rust work and assemble it all. Should put about 350hp to the wheels on spiked pump gas.

I'm buyin a new saab 9-3 sport sedan tomorrow, aero model. chipped i'm lookin at about 260lbft/250hp on 91 oct pump gas, chibby ecotec w/ saab cast block (same as the 1200hp advertised motorsport block). first new car i've ever bought and i'm so excited that i can't even get to sleep tonight - hence, i came to cvsr.

keep the ion/malibu/opel comments to yourself ;-)

jason

uglystick
Re: 1987 BMW 535is $2000 OBO (Details Inside)   Posted Sat Aug 7, 04   2:09 AM     

Hey if your friend parts that car, I want the head!!! That engine is an M30b35, same as my big sixes that i run. compared to earlier models it was a mean motherfucker, bigger valves, ports, combustion chambers w/ domed pistons. run it into the ground and swap the ls-6 into it. tell him i want the head though and will pay $50 plus shipping for it unless he fucks it up.

with the engine mgmt system that thing runs, i doubt you could do much to destroy it unless he runs it out of oil.

and gtp, i dont know how you could hijack a thread for a car that was for sale until its owner played hockey with the tranny pucks... ;-) how have the two of you been anyway? anything new?

jason

Rx_otary_Se7en

Re: 1987 BMW 535is $2000 OBO (Details Inside)   Posted Sat Aug 7, 04   3:56 AM     

Hope your new car treats you well.

"Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam?"-
Samir "Office Space"
BlownGTP

Re: 1987 BMW 535is $2000 OBO (Details Inside)   Posted Sat Aug 7, 04   7:38 AM     

Well thats good to know.

Update on me as listed.

1. Got engaged

2. sold the GTP

3. Bought a 99 GTX

4. Im going to be a dad (and im nervous as hell)

Thats about it.

ILL BE WAITING AT THE NEXT LIGHT! http://www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg
LS4_454
Re: 1987 BMW 535is $2000 OBO (Details Inside)   Posted Sat Aug 7, 04   6:55 PM     

Hey GTP,
Well if he is pounding it he will probably take out the trans mounts, rear subframe mounts, driveshaft u-joints and with any luck the trans. But it sounds like he wants a good excuse to drop in the LT1 anyway.
For the most part it is a good car, much better than the 12 cylinder version.

Pages in this thread: (1) 2