The new boy in town - CVSR Forums

Main
   >> General Forum
Thread views: 58921

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
LS4_454
Re: The new boy in town new   Posted Wed Jul 17, 02   8:16 PM    [re: 1969Stang] 

What the hell is spewing from your high school auto shop mouth?! Too much compression and it wont start? Cant run high compression with cast iron heads? Can you say diesel?! They have 23:1 and are cast iron. Pro Stocks run well over 14:1 and last I saw , they start up. Dude, wait 3 more years, graduate, then post something.

Post Extras: Print Post

hooyeah
Re: The new boy in town new   Posted Wed Jul 17, 02   9:01 PM    [re: LS4_454] 

it is true though higher compression will make it hard to start try pulll starting a car motor it's tough so i do see why there may be some trouble starting it. and deisels probably have specially strengthened heads or something i'm not sure so don't bite my head off either

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_- CHEVY dodge ford thats just the way it works

LS4_454
Re: The new boy in town new   Posted Wed Jul 17, 02   10:21 PM    [re: hooyeah] 

How do you "pull" start a car motor? 69Stang said a motor with high compression WONT start, big difference compared to a hard starting engine with high compression and it is easier than he thinks to get a high compression motor to crank easily.

hooyeah
Re: The new boy in town new   Posted Wed Jul 17, 02   10:49 PM    [re: LS4_454] 

wut i was basically saying was it is harder to start a higher compression engine because there is more compression

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_- CHEVY dodge ford thats just the way it works

DOT

Re: The new boy in town new   Posted Wed Jul 17, 02   10:50 PM    [re: LS4_454] 

you guys sound like a bunch of fucking five year olds fighting over what flavor candy is better. yes you can run cast iron heads with high compression. yes higher compression will give you hard starting but so will really tight tolerances. as for 1000hpsbc the part that you guys all missed on trying to say that he is full of shit here's one for you. page one sbc said that the bore of his 383 stroker is 3.750 ok that's correct but where the fuck did you come up with the 4.125 bore it happens to be a .030 over 350 block with a 400 crank and 350 bore is 4.000 which would make it that you need to have a 4.030 bore. but what do I know I don't build engines for a living and I don't have a 383 short block almost assembled in my garage right now.

hooyeah
Re: The new boy in town new   Posted Wed Jul 17, 02   11:33 PM    [re: DOT] 

since dot pointed that out i used the formula and if those were the bore and stroke u'd have a 401 ruffly (if u want to try it and don't know it it's 1/2bore squared times 3.14 times stroke times number of cylinders good point dot

1000hpsbchevyFOR

Re: The new boy in town new   Posted Thu Jul 18, 02   12:24 AM    [re: sweetdevil] 

Look boys we all make mistakes at the time i didn't have any of those specs in front of me I just blurted off a bunch of numbers off the top of my head. Believe what you will, prolly by tomorrow Uglystick is going to post a video of the car doing a few second blurp down my street. Plus there will also be a video posted of the car running fst69chevelle hopefully within a few days.

Who has the fastest toys and why do I?

hooyeah
Re: The new boy in town new   Posted Thu Jul 18, 02   12:28 AM    [re: 1000hpsbchevyFOR] 

cant wait to see the video but it just seemed odd at the time to me when dot noticed it no offense or anytihng

Edited by hooyeah (Thu Jul 18, 02   12:30 AM)

1000hpsbchevyFOR

Re: The new boy in town new   Posted Thu Jul 18, 02   1:05 AM    [re: hooyeah] 

None taken, DOT seems to be at the top of his game and I can respect the fact that he has no problem correcting some guy who sounds like he's full of shit. But there is always somone who can play the devils advocate. I give him the benefit of the doubt because nobody knows if Im just some little punk kid who likes to raise hell. Like I said prolly tomorrow Uglystick will post my video. Maybe I still can make a believer out of DOT

Who has the fastest toys and why do I?

Edited by 1000hpsbchevyFOR (Thu Jul 18, 02   1:07 AM)

hooyeah
Re: The new boy in town new   Posted Thu Jul 18, 02   1:42 AM    [re: 1000hpsbchevyFOR] 

hmmm what i want to see is dots elcamino against ugly sticks
not exactly sure wut eithe runs but two elcaminos would be awesome to see expecially dots sweet looking red one against ugly sticks white trash flamemobile can't wait to see the pics of uglysticks should be great and can't wait to see your videos/pics or wutever you got

LethalToy

Re: The new boy in town new   Posted Thu Jul 18, 02   8:41 AM    [re: 1000hpsbchevyFOR] 

Well it looks like the bar has been raised. The calibre of new members is increasing. Welcome 1000hpsbchevy. I am eagerly anticipating seeing the video of a race between you and 69CHEVELLE. No big secret, he isn't my favourite character on this board. Would you mind, before you race, do a quick walk around of your car. Nobody ever really does and the pics and videos are usually too dark (night races). It sounds sweet and I build customs and do some engine work but Iwould like to see your suspension more than anything. I think a good suspension and drivetrain is just as important as the engine.

BTW all, haven't been on for a few days as I am completing my move and changing my Internet account over to a business account because I need 4 more IP's. My E-Mail addy will change also. For those of you that EMail me the new addy will be lethalcustoms@shawcable.com That will be in effect for the start of August, till then my old one will still work.

----------------------------------------------------------- Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal.

sweetdevil

Re: The new boy in town new   Posted Thu Jul 18, 02   10:12 AM    [re: LethalToy] 

Ummm. first of all, didn't mean anything offensive.... I've never learned anything about engines with blowers, so i couldn't understand why the compression was so low! I was just asking!!!
I have no idea what DOT was saying..... but.... um, yeah! lol

__________________ Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over!

uglystick

Re: The new boy in town new   Posted Thu Jul 18, 02   10:32 AM    [re: LS4_454] 

just a footnote: extremely high compression engines WILL not start with even a high torque starter. they require a compression bleeder to get the engine running, then you crank em down to get full compression.

now, the only vehicle i've seen that on was a v twin harley with pistons the size of 60 over 454 slugs. 350 horse to the rear wheel. holy crap! exactly why i'll never get on a motorcycle....

i think (intuitively - no real knowledge here) that is why funnycars have an independent starter that is the size of a house.

jason

'64 El Camino w/ 383 Stroker; '75 BMW 3.0 CS w/ 3.2l Stroker; '78 IH Scout TBI/MSD 345 V8; '85 Jag XJS w/ 327 Dual Quad & Camelbacks; '96 Dodge Ram 4" Drop, 20's, Purdy...

uglystick

Re: The new boy in town new   Posted Thu Jul 18, 02   10:45 AM    [re: LethalToy] 

no shit lethal. it's about time the bar was raised here! welcome to the new guys who showed up over the weekend.

and yeah i'd race dot. it'd be funny. i'll be down there sometime in the future for sure. the best man at the wedding i went to in long island lives down in san diego and runs a '73 elk currently with a 305. he needs some help putting hardwood floor in his bed. so i said i'd come down and help him out. good excuse to come out and meet some of y'all in person.

needless to say i've got plans to come down there sometime with my ugly f'in car. by then at least the interior will be in tip top stock shape (or custom, haven't decided yet...)

HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY (in my best excited 5 year old tugging on dad's pantleg voice)... has anyone seen the '52 willys aero ace in hot rod this month? well, here comes a totally off topic story. my father, back in the mid 60's (65-67) owned one of those cars with his 327 dual quad in it (the manifold is now on my 327 of the same year intended for my jag xjs). dad's still got the ol' 327, going holley commander 950 multiport on it (the system has been sitting in my spare bedroom for a year now) in a gt40 fiberfab kit car that he bought in '68. never finished it. someday he will. long and the short of it is this: his willys kicked many asses in bakersfield in the 60's. it was gutted, i mean gutted. you could open the trunk and see through to the dash. one fiberglass seat in the car, big fuckin slicks, link'n'locked spiders. he's seen my el camino run and said his willys would have kicked its ass.....BAD. so needless to say, after seeing that article and that beautiful car... i really want one.

if anyone knows where i can find a '52 willys aero ace, let me know. i'm broke as a fuckin joke right now, getting married soon, got no money for a long time, but i still want to start the hunt for my dear ol' dad's teenage-years hotrod.

oh, and yeah, pop's ported, polished, blueprinted, port matched, cc'd, 327 w/ an OLD SCHOOL magneto, oil cooler, damn near everything you could buy back in the day, only has 1072 miles on it. it was a vette crate motor when new. '65. and yes, he would have stuck with the dual quad if my muppetfucking nephew by marriage wouldn't have stolen the carbs off it while it was parked in my uncles garage.

jason

'64 El Camino w/ 383 Stroker; '75 BMW 3.0 CS w/ 3.2l Stroker; '78 IH Scout TBI/MSD 345 V8; '85 Jag XJS w/ 327 Dual Quad & Camelbacks; '96 Dodge Ram 4" Drop, 20's, Purdy...

hooyeah
Re: The new boy in town new   Posted Thu Jul 18, 02   12:35 PM    [re: uglystick] 

i'm not sure wut they all are but theres a guy near me he has like 6 willy's in his backyard i don't know what he's doing with them i know he refuses to sell them and he isn't hotrodding them or anytihng they are just collecting dust

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to

Contact Webmaster | Privacy statement CVSR.NET

UBBThreads™ 5.5.1